Alumni Profile of Violet Gabisile Similane
I started at Tsogo High School in grade 7 in 1991 and matriculated in 1996. Earlier I attended Manamelong Primary School in Winterveld. I went on to further my studies at Rand Afrikaans University (now the University of Johannesburg). First completing a Bachelor of Science majoring in Chemistry and Geology. Followed by an Honor’s degree in Science majoring in Geology. I then completed a Master of Science degree specialising in Geochemistry and Geochronology at the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg.
Currently, I am employed by De Beers, as a Geologist and Project Manager. De Beers sponsored my tertiary education. I joined the De Beers as a Geologist-in-Training, was later permanently employed as an Exploration Geologist, and am currently the Project Manager for one of their most important projects at De Beers Holdings Botswana, on behalf of Debswana (The largest diamond producer by value).
I have travelled extensively throughout South Africa. I have been to most dorpies and some corners I never knew existed, test my trivia on different towns. I am thankful that, in the seven years that I have worked for De Beers, I have travelled and worked in the following countries:
– Canada (sub-arctic temperatures),
– Guinea (Tropical Forest),
– Namibia (Think Kalahari Desert),
– Botswana (Current Location)
I am my own role model! I set my standards and I can only strive to beat my own record, as at the end of the day I only have myself to deal with.
Keep on flying the Tsogo High flag; DIAMONDS have most certainly come out of the ROUGH!
To current Students
My motto is hard work and a bit of luck plays a role in for a successful career, the more you work the better you become at your game. Networking in my experience is the cherry on top. That is it seals the deal because word travels in every industry and one needs to
More importantly when given a task or project what is expected of you is the deliverables!
Some of my memorable achievements include:
– Acquiring a bursary from De Beers to sponsor my Tertiary education
– Acquiring funding from the Mellon Postgraduate fund to sponsor my Masters Degree
– Spending 6 months at the Carnegie Institute of Washington (a private laboratory in Washington D.C. in the U.S.A., amongst some of the smartest scientist there are in this world
– The pleasure of visiting several countries through De Beers
Connect with Gabisile
– Gabisile Simelane | LinkedIn http://linkd.in/PqityM
More Alumni Profiles
- Alumni Profile: Tshepo Kgobe (Tsogo 1991)
- Alumni Profile: Boingotlo Joan Legalamitlwa (Tsogo 1997)
- Alumni Profile: Vukosi Marivate (Tsogo 2003)
- Alumni Profile: Mpho Mokgadi (Tsogo 2004)
- Alumni Profile: Noosie Petlele (Tsogo 1978)
- Alumni Profile: Nna Patrick Mosupye (Tsogo 1980)
- Alumni Profile: Amos Diale (Tsogo 1989)
- Alumni Profile: Dr. HM Molamu (Tsogo 1980)
- Alumni Profile: Portia Victoria Mogosetsi (Tsogo 2003)
- Alumni Profile: Keratilwe Rakobelwa (Tsogo 2004)
Want to nominate an alumnus to be profiled? Fill in the form here.
If you have an alumnus you would like to nominate please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or go to the Nomination Page.